Friday 14 March 2014

Smoked Salmon & Avocado Sushi (plus Tuna Salad)

Smoked Salmon & Avocado Sushi (without rice) looking like a little dragon ball

This salmon avocado sushi isn't a recipe per se, but rather just a quick eat (and I mean quick!) I came home and just wanted something substantial yet wasn't going to give me that heavy feeling after eating. Afterall, it was an in-between time, I had missed lunch by a few hours and dinner was only a few hours away but I had to get something in my system!

In simpler terms, this was my snack for the day.

So craving sushi. that's what I decided to make. Going through the fridge and the pantry, I found everything I needed: smoked salmon, beautifully ripe avocado, nori plus Kewpie mayonnaise and Kikkoman soy sauce to serve.....but I was missing RICE. Nonetheless, since I wasn't looking to fill myself up I made the sushi without rice. After I finished, I realised that my rolls looked very similar to the dragon ball on an ornamental shield that I have giving me the perfect shot for my blog!


So the real recipe I'd like to share is one that I normally prepare for a filling when I make sushi for my family. It's a very simple, yet tasty tuna salad! This tuna salad can be used, not only for sushi, but my family often likes to put this in sandwiches or salad wraps to take for their packed lunch (because the tuna salad isn't overly wet, sandwiches and wraps won't become soggy by the time lunch rolls around).

Super simple & delicious tuna salad!


All of the ingredients in this recipe are always found in my pantry and fridge:

  • - canned tuna: great for a lazy snack or to add protein to a salad;
  • - onions: great base for all recipes
  • - Kewpie mayonnaise: is the preferred mayonnaise of my family (it has a very creamy texture and has a different tartness compared to regular mayonnaise)
  • - sweet chili sauce: easy dipping sauce and lazy way to add flavour to dishes (such as tuna salad!)

So this recipe is literally always an easy, simple & favourite option when we can't decide what to have for lunch or a snack!
_________________________________________________________________________________


Tuna Salad


Ingredients:

          425g can of tuna in springwater
          1 whole red onion, finely diced
          approx. 3 tbsp. Kewpie mayonnaise (or to taste)
          approx. 3 tbsp. sweet chili sauce (or to taste)

Method:

  1. Drain the tuna in a sieve, if needed gently push the pieces against the side of the sieve to remove excess springwater/brine
  2. Transfer tuna to a medium-sized bowl and separate chunks into smaller flakes
  3. Add onion, mayonnaise and sweet chili sauce and combine with a fork
  4. You can also add extra salt and/or pepper but I usually find that the tuna has enough of a salty taste to omit additional salt

***Tip: 

To reduce the sharpness of the onion, mix the onion with 1 tsp. of lemon juice whilst preparing the canned tuna (this will also reduce the chance of getting onion-breath)
_________________________________________________________________________________

This tuna salad gives great flavour to any sandwich, wrap or sushi roll. It provides a little crunch from the onion and a subtle sweetness from the sweet chili sauce to balance out the bite of the onion.


I'd love to see your versions of my recipes if you try them! Feel free to send them through to my email address; on Instagram with the tag (@unadornedeats) and/or hash-tag (#unadornedeats); or attach them to a comment below!


Love and luck in your cooking!

- Unadorned Eats

No comments :

Post a Comment