Wednesday 16 April 2014

Vanilla Custard (No Cream)



My vanilla custard recipe is adapted from a butterscotch pudding I saw a while ago on the tele, while I didn't like the flavour of  the pudding I liked the texture and through a few tweaks I created the perfect (I think so anyway, no hard feelings if you don't agree!) consistency custard without cream! I like to use organic free range eggs for simple egg-based recipes as these eggs typically have a more intensely orange-tinged yolk which will give your custard that lovely yellow custard colour. Ever since I started making this custard recipe, we haven't been getting the occasional urge to buy store-bought custard since it's so easy and tastes so much better!

_________________________________________________________________________________


Vanilla Custard (No Cream)


Ingredients:

          3 egg yolks (I used organic free range, but any kind of egg will do)
          1/4 cup sugar
          1 1/2 tbsp. cornflour
          3 cups (750ml) milk (I used skimmed milk, to lower fat content)
          20g unsalted butter (salted is also ok, as some people like to add a pinch of salt to their
          recipes)
          1 tsp. vanilla essence (you can sub for vanilla bean too)

Method:

  1. Whisk egg and sugar together until thick and pale
  2. Sift and whisk in cornflour until smooth
  3. Heat milk over stove until steam is visible above saucepan (not boiling)
  4. Pour milk into egg mixture to pan and bring to the boil, continuously stirring until thickened then lower heat and simmer for 2 minutes
  5. Cover and refrigerate to cool until serving


****Tips: 

- This makes pouring consistency custard, but if you find it a little too thin reduce the milk and you can adjust the consistency by adding more whilst its cooking to lessen the chance of the custard spoiling too quickly

Similar Recipes:

- Vanilla Crème Brûlée

Click here for the recipe. A decadent dessert with a satisfying caramelised sugar toffee to break through before reaching the smooth and creamy vanilla crème.
_________________________________________________________________________________

My sisters like to eat this as an after-school snack or even fancy it up as a make-believe creme brulee by serving them in ramekins and caramelising some sugar on top of it. They even prefer this over my crème caramel recipe which is a plus for me because it's so quick and easy to make!

I'd love to see your versions of my recipes if you try them! Feel free to send them through to my email address; on Instagram with the tag (@unadornedeats) and/or hash-tag (#unadornedeats); or attach them to a comment below!



Love and luck in your cooking!

- Unadorned Eats

No comments :

Post a Comment